Schedule of Events
Lecture Programme: September 2012 – March 2013
•Location: Free Church Hall, Church Road,
Meeting are at the Free Church Hall, Church Road, Welwyn Garden City
7.45 for a 8.00 start Visitors Welcome £2.00
Sept. 28th “Battlefield Archaeology: Excavations at Shiloh, Tennessee”. Ellen Shlasko
Oct. 12th “Education in Roman Britain”. Mark Hassall
Oct. 26th “Romans in the fens”. Chris Carr
Nov. 9th “Water Steam & Stone- the rediscovery of a Derbyshire Mill Site”. Les Mather
Nov.23rd “Recent work at the Hava Ftwah, Libya”. Tim Reynolds
Jan. 25th “Six weeks in the Finnish Neolithic: Excavation, reconstruct & experimental Archaeology” Burcu Urundul
Feb. 8th “Putting the central Nile Delta, back on the map- Recent investigations in Quesna & Minufiyeh province”. Joanne Rowland
Feb. 22nd “Progressing with the Prittlewell Burial”. Lynn Blackmore
Mar. 8th “70 Years of Archaeology”. John Smith
Mar. 22nd A.G.M.
• Saturday, 14th July 2012 - Archaeology in Hertfordshire: recent research. A conference to mark Tony Rook’s 80th birthday. Click here for the flier!
• Friday 13th July’ 12: Drawing and photographing finds with Stuart Laidlaw and Frances Saxton.
• Thursday 12th July’ 12: Schools open day
• Wednesday 11th July’ 12: Pottery with Anna Doherty and Clare Lewis
• Tuesday 10th July’ 12: Small finds and conservation with Sally Worrell and James Hales.
• Monday 9th July’ 12 : animal bones with Louise Martin
• Sunday 1st July’ 12: Wrest Park trip for Welwyn Archaeological Society members. Please get in touch for further details.
In collaboration with UCL, the AHRC ‘Dig Where We Stand project’ hosted by Welwyn-Hatfield Museum Services, at Mill Green Museum, Mill Green, near Hatfield, Herts.
• Sunday 24th June’ 12: Roman Day as part of Welwyn Festival at Welwyn Roman Bathhouse from 1:30pm – 4:30pm.
• Saturday 23rd June’ 12, 2pm – 7pm: Half day workshop at the UCL, Institute of Archaeology, introducing different elements of community history practice. Click for the course flier
• Friday 23 March 2012 at 7:45pm - A.G.M
• Friday 9 March 2012 at 7:45pm -
Homer’s Iliad: The Trogan War in Greek & Roman art & archaeology.
Speaker: Peter Clayton
• Friday 24 February 2012 -
The archaeology of the Fens’
Speaker: Tim Reynolds.
• Friday 10 February 2012 -
The Boudiccan Revolt
Speaker: John Smith
• Friday 27 January 2012 -
Roman armour from Priory Field, Caerleon.
Speaker: Andrew Gardner.
• Friday 9 December 2011 -
The archaeology of St. Albans City & District (Time Team, Temples & Transport).
Speaker: Simon West
• Friday 25 November 2011 -
The archaeology of smoking: the history & study of clay tobacco pipes.
Speaker: Jacqui Pearce
• Friday 4 November 2011 -
Speaker: Paul Palmer
• Friday 14 October 2011 -
Speaker: Daphne Knott
• Friday 30 September 2011 -
The Boudiccan Revolt (event was cancelled and rescheduled for 2012).
Speaker: John Smith
23 July & 24 July 2011, Digging a CORS test pit with the YACs (Young Archaeologist Club)
17th July 2011, Guided walk over Watton, Aston, Datchworth areas led by Dr Kris Lockyear.
• 13th July 2011, Illustrated talk with Dr Kris Lockyear
Memorial Hall in Watton.
Dr Kris Lockyear led an illustrated talk about the work the society is currently involved in, in the Watton, Aston, Datchworth areas.